Thursday, July 28, 2011

SPINACH & CHEESE QUICHE

This past Monday it was dark, cloudy, and quite rainy. I wanted something filling and warm so I whipped out my spinach & cheese quiche recipe. I originally stumbled upon this quiche in a very old (1998) Weight Watcher cookbook my parents had given me. Hopefully it wasn't a hint! I have found some ways of improving upon it. First, I add cooked onion. It adds a nice sweetness and another level of flavor. Second, I don't make my own crust. I actually use a frozen 9 inch Mrs. Smith Deep Dish Pie Crust. It works so well with the recipe. The catch is it comes with 2 pie crusts so the solution is to double the recipe and freeze one of the quiches. The best part about this recipe is that it is not as dense as your average quiche but it is still filling and satisfying. It is also a much healthier version which is a bonus! Don't let the Weight Watcher label fool you! I know I have been telling Mere about this recipe for awhile. Here it is! Now you have to try it!



Spinach & Cheese Quiche
Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook (1998)

Makes 12 servings

One 12-ounce can evaporated skimmed milk
1/3 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs
3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
One 10-ounce box of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
Plain Pie Crust, baked & cooled

Jess's Recommendations:
3/4 cup chopped onion, cooked
Use Mrs. Smith 9 inch Deep Dish Pie Crust

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a medium bowl, whisk the milk, cottage cheese, Parmesan, eggs, egg whites, salt and pepper.

2. Place the pie plate on a jelly-roll pan; spread the spinach over the pie crust (if you would like to add the onion this is the time, mix it into the spinach), then pour the filling over the spinach (onion). Bake 15 minutes; reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake until the filling is set, 20 minutes longer. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment