Monday, August 29, 2011

PEANUT BRITTLE and VANILLA ICE CREAM

As I awaited Irene's overnight visit this Saturday, I decided to keep myself busy with a new challenge - Peanut Brittle.  Considering my candy thermometer is tucked away in a storage facility I am not sure why I thought this was in intelligent time to venture into the world of sugar boiling, but miraculously I was able to gauge the appropriate time and temperature with the help a meat thermometer (please note the thermometer's highest temperature was 75 degrees colder than the maximum temperature suggested in the recipe, plus I halved the recipe so all times were significantly shortened - there was some serious guess work going on).  One part estimation to two parts dumb luck seems the perfect recipe for success... next time I'll unpack my thermometer to be safe though.

{Old Fashioned Peanut Brittle recipe from Bon Appetit - via epicurious.com}

But I didn't stop there. What would go well with the crispy, salty-sweet treat? Cold and creamy vanilla ice cream of course! I made a basic custard compliments of David Lebowitz, froze the concoction and voila, a perfect post hurricane dessert for Sunday.

{Recipe from David Lebovitz via www.epicurious.com}

No comments:

Post a Comment